My Blog List

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Learning theories, Learning styles, and the Impact of Technology

In my initial posting, I stated, “The learning methods that lead me to the most success in learning are those that allow me to access knowledge at a time of my choosing and in an environment that is less stressful and more conducive to learning.” After investigating the various learning styles and theories over the past several weeks, I can clearly identify that myself in the adult learning theory that acknowledges that adults draw on their life and career experiences to construct new knowledge. I find that the technology available in the learning environment contributes to my success as a learner because it allows me to function independently, collaborate with others to discuss information when needed, and incorporate my coursework into my daily schedule when and where it is convenient for me. In addition, I am able to develop my knowledge by accessing information on the Internet to answer questions as they arise.

I exhibit the properties of a learner in the constructivist assumptions of self-regulation described by Ormrod (2009) as:
§         And intrinsic motivation to seek information
§         Understanding goes beyond the information given
§         Mental representations change with development
§         Progressive refinements in levels of understanding
§         Developmental constraints on learning
§         Reflection and reconstruction stimulate learning

I have a better understanding of the concepts of learning styles. My learning has always been enhanced by visual and auditory presentation through video, television, and PowerPoint presentation. These multiple methods of delivery, in conjunction with discussion and reflection, have helped me process and transfer knowledge into my long-term memory in a way that allows it to be recalled when needed.

Technology has grown to assist me in the learning process. I have always been curious and anxious to learn new things. I find that the Internet has become a common source for me to research information and find answers to questions that students or I have as we elaborate on the topics we discuss in class. I enjoy the social networking sites, and link to various science sites as a means of locating resources and materials for teaching. My participation in Listservs supports my development of technology in my classroom. Blogs allow me to interact with other professionals to discuss relevant topics in education and technology. Taking online courses has allowed me to continue my education and participate in professional development in a manner that fits into my schedule. Whether it is part of a structured curriculum, such as the coursework through Walden University, or an independent video course on a topic I am seeking information on, I enjoy learning and find the audio and visual material on the Internet engaging and informative.
Ormrod, J.,  Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment